Monday, July 30, 2007

Getting Medieval
Today's goal is to clean up my sewing area and get everything organized so I can start on the medieval garb. I think I can get all the sewing done in a week and two weekends. Then I'll probably need to make a few adjustments.
So, for the next week, you probably won't hear anything from me but talk about fabric and measurements and patterns.
It's a lot of work but I enjoy sewing. I remember when I was about 4, I was at my grandmother's house and I wanted another outfit for my doll. this tells me it must have been raining or freezing because otherwise I was always outside. Dolls were just something to mess around with if you couldn't get to the pine thicket where we played.
So, my grandmother found some fabric scraps, looked at the doll, cut the fabric and stitched (by hand) together a dress. At that moment, I was certain I was seeing magic. I made my first dress at age 12, and almost all my clothes for high school. I made my prom gown and my business suits and my daughter's prom gown.
Soon after the husband and I were married, I announced that I was going to the fabric store to look for fabrics for our medieval garb. The husband said "I'll come with you." Possible this was because I'd be getting fabric for his garb and he wanted to have a say. So, we're at the fabric store and after about forty-five minutes, the husband said, "Are you almost done?"
I laughed. "No. I haven't looked at everything."
He frowned. "You're going to look at everything in the store?"
He rarely ever goes tot he fabric store with me now.

No comments: